Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's time!




Although we are still having some cool nights, and our days jump back and forth from warm to cool, history tells us that we have probably had our last frost for the year here at the coast.  Most years that means it is time to plant most of our warm season vegetables, from beans to tomatoes.  This year the soil remains quite cool, but I just couldn't wait any longer.  I have tomato plants in the ground, unprotected, and smaller cayenne pepper plants right next to them, protected by individual milk jug greenhouses.  I planned to plant bush beans this past weekend, but never got to it, so those go in later this week.

You can see from the photo that some of my tomatoes are mixed in with my young lettuces.  I figure by the time the tomatoes put on some size the lettuce with either be done for the year or will need the shade.   (I planted 5 tomato plants, one each of four varieties I have never grown before: African Queen, Goldman's Italian, and two whose names I can't remember, plus one sungold cherry tomato).   The next photo shows two of the tomato plants beside the covered peppers.  Note the rod that holds the four milk jugs together, and keeps them from blowing out of the garden.

You also can see that my earliest blueberry (sorry, I lost all the tags on their third move around the yard, so I don't know what variety it is) is all set, with berries getting ready to start ripening.  The final photo is the amazing lettuce from last fall, against a backdrop of this spring's sugar snap peas.  I love the spring garden, but have to admit my garden was put to shame by one I visited yesterday.  Every vegetable in it was spectacular; they were harvesting big, perfect lettuces, spinach, broccoli, peas from a fall planting!, turnips, and more.  I was inspired, and will give my garden a good talking to.