Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tangerine (singular)

You may recall that I have a tangerine tree that is planted in my yard, and lives, unprotected from my coastal North Carolina elements. A few years ago it produced it's first crop, over 100 perfect, up to 1/2 lb each, tangerines. Then we had a bitter cold winter, and all the branch ends were killed. That was followed by two summers of extreme drought. Needless to say, that did not help the poor tree recover. Stress led to scale and aphid infestations, which I have dealt with using horticulture oil or horticulture soaps. The tree finally has started to grow a few branches back, and this year had 1 perfect tangerine. Here it is! It was the sweetest citrus I have tasted, much sweeter than the first crop. Lets hope it is a sign of good things to come.