Sunday, April 13, 2008

Blooms



Look at this iris that opened today - apricot!  Like many of my plants, it was a gift from a friend whose iris bed needed thinning, and this is the first time I have seen it bloom.  I love the color.  The other flowering plant is actually my sage, gone to flower.  I remain amazed at how lovely herbs are when flowering.  
Remember the potatoes I thought had rotted?  Well, after a month in the ground, the first small potato leaves have emerged.  Also emerging this week:  beets, squash, and beans.  It remains to be seen if the beans and squash, plants that love warm weather, will hold up to the night temperatures in the 40s this week.  The critters also had a big week:  the bees are acting like they want to swarm, and the hens are laying three eggs a day, every day.  With the wind howling and the temperatures dropping, I imagine the bees will stick around till the end of the week.